- 1 large purple eggplant, about a pound
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 teaspoons Italian Sausage Spice Mix
- 2 green or red bell peppers
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 4 hoagie buns, lightly toasted if desired
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chili sauce or marinara sauce, plus more for French fries
Preheat oven to 400 F. Oil a large baking sheet. Cut the ends from the eggplant and then cut into 3/4-inch slices. Brush both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle both sides with the spices, and rub into the surface of the eggplant with your hands. Transfer to the baking pan. Cut the bell peppers and onion in to 3/4-inch slices and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Transfer to the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning over the eggplant and stirring the peppers and onions after 10 minutes. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch strips. Distribute the eggplant, onion, and peppers among the hoagie buns.