This is a crunchy, refreshing little salad to have with Mexican food. I came up with this by replacing the black beans in this salad with jicama. Unlike the black beans, the jicama absorbs most of the salad dressing. We had this with the Creamy Poblano-Hominy Soup that I posted last week.
- 2 cups jicama, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 pound before peeling)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup lime juice, from about 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeño
Add the jicama, red onion, and red bell pepper to a serving bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and jalapeño. Pour over the vegetables and toss.
Refrigerate for 2 hours or more before serving to let the flavors mingle.